Sunday, August 3, 2008

Uncovering the columnar elements, part 2

This is actually the "after" picture, believe it or not. Clearly I still have some work to do on this side of the little tree! (Can you see it, just behind the peony?) I started on the other side, towards the gate, and took the opportunity to liberate a hosta and a hellebore at the same time. Lots of excess cranesbill geranium, Japanese anemone, and mint. I now know these characters well enough to know that they won't be devastated by my attack. Rip, tear. The hellebore still needs some help, but the hosta now looks like a deliberate, established clump. Isn't it handsome! I left some anemone and mint at the back, to keep the ribbon grass honest.
And here is the little-column-that-could, isn't it darling?



"Oh, puh-leeze."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could grow hostas; the blue-green is really lovely in amongst the yellowy-greens and makes a nice connection with the little columnar element (LCE).

Anonymous said...

I wish I could grow hostas; the blue-green is really lovely in amongst the yellowy-greens and makes a nice connection with the little columnar element (LCE).

Lisa Gould said...

Back from rainy rainy Scotland and I see that there is an 8-day hiatus since the last post. Where is the latest garden news or is Madame LR away on 'business'??
And if so, why isn't Harriet keeping us posted?

lisarose said...

I am in Vermont, saying a final goodbye to Grandmama, and admiring these gracious New England perennial borders. I MUST plant more echinacea!

Lisa Gould said...

Please do plant more echinacea, then cold/flu season will be a thing of the past come fall semester.
Hope the memorial is a very nice one.
I'm sure Vermont must be pretty right now, and surely less rainy than Scotland!

When back?