Monday, August 2, 2010

Taipei jardins

I went to a conference in Taiwan, where it was very HOT, and we mostly moved from air-conditioned hotel to air-conditioned bus to air-conditioned convention centre, and then the same in reverse, except for stops at lovely, air-conditioned restaurants for fabulous banquets on the way back to the hotel. I loved what I saw of the city from the bus and from my hotel room window. Here are some views from said window. Sadly, it was little too hazy for the camera to pick up the fabulous lumpy mountains out behind the skyscrapers, but at least you can see the wonderful variety of rooftop and balcony gardens.

View to the right:
Love the clotheslines and palm trees and water tanks.

View to the left, including (in the distance) the third tallest building in the world:
(The most elegant banquet was on the 85th floor of the second-tallest building in the world, "Taipei 101". Ears popping in elevator! Surreal, airplanesque view!)

I particularly enjoyed the closest rooftop, which was clearly prime outdoor living space for the whole family.
I watched the owners watering the plants and doing their calisthenics one morning. The next day I realized that these activities were being supervised by a couple of happy dogs! Can you see them being given breakfast in this next photo?
I feel very fortunate to be slowly learning about Asia. It is amazing how one short visit can start to pull a big, blurry, mental map into focus.

1 comment:

littleorangelibrarian said...

Extremely cool picture of the rooftop garden!