Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Up close and personal with Tweezy

Look who I found, sitting on the rose that covers the pergola on the back deck!
It is "our" hummingbird. We call him "Tweezy" because of the buzzy, chirruping noise he makes. He talks a LOT. He could give Ozzie a run for his operatic money. Usually he hangs out at the top of the elderberry tree at the back of the yard, with excursions around to the laurel hedge on one side, or the oak on the other side. I've never seen him perched this close to the house before. He sticks around all year. I was a little worried about him during the "big freeze", but he seems to have done just fine.

It is hard to see his colour, because he is backlit on a foggy day, but in the picture below I caught him with his head turned, and you can see the red crest that ID's him as an Anna's hummingbird. (You may need to click on the photo to open it up in a new window at a larger magnification to see this.  Trust me, it's there!)

3 comments:

teya r. said...

I like Tweezy. He's the essence of indomitable and pugnacious. But I might be ready for a new picture now. No pressure...just saying.
TR

Anonymous said...

to TR - could you clarify - new picture of what?

to LR - love the pics but can't see color on the 2nd one - on my screen he's just dark again. Amazing that he came so close!
mom

teya r. said...

Oh, it doesn't matter. A quick picture of what is blooming now--apple trees? Or of feline frolics? Any pictures of lovely ladies in saris strolling in the garden?
tr