Saturday, July 12, 2008

Should I chop the arm off the acer?

Here is the lovely, sculptural pruning job Mum did on one of the japanese maples during her "spring-training" in 2007:
That lowest branch on the left-hand side balances the shape of the tree, and looks very pretty against the bare ground behind. In the summer, though, with leaves, it blocks the rose bushes and other interesting tall plants back against the fence.  (As seen from the back step, at least - the most common view point.)  Here is a photo I took today (hmm, may need to get an evening shot for better light):
It may be that I simply need to haul out those clumps of tall things immediately behind, so the maple branch screens only the roses and tall stuff right at the back by the fence.  But quite a few days this summer I've been tempted to go out and chop off the maple branch.  I think I will start by hauling out the alstromaria, and then take another photo this evening or tomorrow.

When I figure out how to get the file size down from 49M, I'll post a video I made on Canada Day last year, that shows the same section of the jardin, and a little bit of Ozzie, too. Here's a still from it.  Oz loves the catmint, and the purple flowers do look pretty against his tuxedo.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hi Lisarose,

I love your blog. It reminds me of the acre where I use to live. I had citrus, peaches, bananas, snap dragons, roses of every kind, iris, tulips, hibiscus, and several types of climbing vine. My husband also had a lot of grass to mow around all that I listed. My acre was unusual because I live in the desert. My backyard was truly my oasis.

Thanks so much for letting me visit.

Robin

lisarose said...

Robin, thank you for your comment! Happy to share my oasis.