Monday, July 28, 2008

Uncovering the columnar elements

Mum and I planted two sweet little evergreens (help, Mum, cedars?) that are supposed to grow about 70' tall and stay only 1-2' wide. We put them right against the back fence, one to the left of centre, the other over at the right by the elderberry tree, so that, when they grow up, they will help draw the eye back and give a sense of depth and space to the view from the house.  If they grow up. Here's a recent photo of the one at the left, poor thing:
Can you see the columnar element? Nope, neither could I. Lots of convolvulus and seed heads of some really tall thing that bloomed at the end of May. Oh the guilt! So I got busy this weekend, and, mercifully, the sweet little thing is still there and is looking ok. I gave it a great big drink of water. I'll get back in there and rip out the rest of the weedy bit soon. But at least it can breathe, for now.
Of course, there's still its sibling on the right side to check in on:
Sigh.

4 comments:

littleorangeguy said...

Your mum insisted on columnular (sp?) elements in our garden too. And she was right!

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure the twins are cypress - Cupressus or x Cupressocyparis -
What! you didn't keep the tag??
The first before and after are great. I think I can just spot the 2nd one right in the middle of the pic. Suspenseful waiting for the next revelation. A.

lisarose said...

Mum, I'm sure I have the tag....somewhere. I guess I figured it was easier to ask you than to actually go upstairs and look for it. Thanks!

Oooh, littleorangeguy, nice pic! And I like the new blue background on your blog.

littleorangeguy said...

Okay, this cross-blog chitchat is kind of fun.